Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Question for experienced woodworkers.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Question for experienced woodworkers.

    I will soon start assembling a pair of large(16cu.ft) cabinets using 3/4in. MDF. I have a small wardrobe that is made from solid 13/16in. hardwood(Australian Blackwood) that I could break up and use for cladding on the top and front of the cabinets.

    My problem is how to apply the Blackwood panels to the MDF given that the MDF is stable and the Blackwood will have some movement across the grain.

    Any advice is welcome.

    Regards, Marshall.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Question for experienced woodworkers.

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    .....I have a small wardrobe that is made from solid 13/16in. hardwood(Australian Blackwood) that I could break up......
    Uh... I'm just guessing here, but it seems like a piece of furniture made of solid wood, would be worth quite a bit....why would you use it as a source of lumber?
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Question for experienced woodworkers.

    It is a small 'Gent's 'Robe' of very plain design from 20s to 40s. Probably used in an hotel or institution. I believe that like many old pieces that do not lend themslves to modern use it's value lies in the wide planks an timber used. Just because it is 'old' does not make it a keeper.

    Cheers, Marshall.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Question for experienced woodworkers.

    Quote Originally Posted by mah View Post
    ......I believe that like many old pieces that do not lend themslves to modern use it's value lies in the wide planks an timber used.
    That must be an Australian thing...... I've never heard of furniture being sold for it's lumber. I've also not heard of pieces that don't lend themselves to modern use. Granted I'm not "into" furniture.

    ....Just because it is 'old' does not make it a keeper.
    If old means it's a quality constructed piece of furniture, made out of solid wood, then YES, it does mean it's a keeper........ at least here in the land of particle board.

    It's yours, so you can do with it as you please, but I would advise that you look into it's value before pulling it apart, so that you aren't assuming.... if that is what your doing.

    I don't know the answer to your question about the expansion of the different materials.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Question for experienced woodworkers.

    You may be able to find expansion rates for various woods with Google. If they're close, I wouldn't worry about it.
    Audio_by_Goodwill
    Michigan, USA

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member mah's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 28th, 2008
    Posts
    2,003
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Question for experienced woodworkers.

    Ater a bit of Googling I found this info Timber boards overlayed on ply. [Archive] - Woodwork Forums.

    Some ideas there but the voice of experience would be appreciated.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.